In dogs, is oral or topical administration of garlic, compared to no treatment, efficacious at preventing or reducing parasitism by fleas?
Clinical bottom line
Category of research question
The number and type of study designs reviewed
Strength of evidence
Critical appraisal of the selected papers meeting the inclusion criteria collectively provide zero evidence in terms of their experimental design and implementation
The outcomes reported were none
It is concluded that there is a lack of peer-reviewed scientific in vivo evidence to address the PICO
The application of evidence into practice should take into account multiple factors, not limited to: individual clinical expertise, patient’s circumstances and owners’ values, country, location or clinic where you work, the individual case in front of you, the availability of therapies and resources.
Knowledge Summaries are a resource to help reinforce or inform decision-making. They do not override the responsibility or judgement of the practitioner to do what is best for the animal in their care.
Birrenkott, G. P., Brockenfelt, G. E., Greer, J. A. & Owens, M. D. (2000). Topical application of garlic reduces northern fowl mite infestation in laying hens. Poultry Science 79(11): 1575–1577. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/ps/79.11.1575
De Castra Alvarenga, L., de Aguiar Paiva, P. C., Banys, V. L., Collao-Saenz, E. A., Rabelo, A. M. G. & de Rezende, A. P. (2004). Alternation of the thicks load of bovines under intake of different levels of residuals of the improvement of garlic. Ciencia E Agrotecnologia 28(4): 906–912. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S1413-70542004000400025
Gholipour-Kanani, H., Sahandi, J. & Taheri, A. (2012). Influence of garlic (Allium sativum) and Mother worth (Matricaria chamomilla) extract on Ichthyophtirius multifilus parasite treatment in Sail Fin Molly (Poecilia latipinna) ornamental fish. Procedia APCBEE 4: 6–11. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apcbee.2012.11.002
Gorji, S. F., Gorji, S. F. & Rajablon, M. (2014). The field efficacy of garlic extract against Dermanyssus gallinae in layer farms of Babol, Iran. Parasitology Research 113: 1209–1213. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00436-014-3759-2
Fridman, S., Sinai, T. & Zilberg, D. (2014). Efficacy of garlic based treatments against monogean parasites infecting the guppy (Poecilia reticulata (Peters)). Veterinary Parasitology 203: 51–58. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetpar.2014.02.002
Massariol, P. B., Olivio, C. J., Richards, N., Agnolin, C. A., Meinerz, G. R., Both, J. F., Faccio, L., Hohenreuther, F. & Martinelli, S. (2009). Ectoparasite load alteration in Holstein cows fed with different garlic (Allium sativum L.) levels. Revista Brasileira de Plantas Medicinais 11(1): 37–42. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S1516-05722009000100007
Renapurkar, D. M. & Deshmukh, P. B. (1984). Pulicidal activity of some indigenous plants. Insect Science and its Application 5(2): 101–102. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S1742758400001740
Copyright (c) 2020 Louise Anne Buckley
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Veterinary Evidence uses the Creative Commons copyright Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. That means users are free to copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format. Remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially - with the appropriate citation.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Louise Anne Buckley, Are Dogs That Are Fed from a Raised Bowl at an Increased Risk of Gastric Dilation Volvulus Compared with Floor-Fed Dogs? , Veterinary Evidence: Vol. 2 No. 1 (2017): The first issue of 2017
- Louise Anne Buckley, Is Alpha-casozepine Efficacious at Reducing Anxiety in Dogs? , Veterinary Evidence: Vol. 2 No. 3 (2017): The third issue of 2017
- Louise Anne Buckley, Are Pressure Vests Beneficial at Reducing Stress in Anxious and Fearful Dogs? , Veterinary Evidence: Vol. 3 No. 1 (2018): The first issue of 2018
- Louise Anne Buckley, Cats that get stressed when visiting the veterinary practice: can gabapentin help improve their welfare? , Veterinary Evidence: Vol. 4 No. 4 (2019): The fourth issue of 2019
- Louise Anne Buckley, Does Pet Remedy reduce stress in dogs? , Veterinary Evidence: Vol. 4 No. 3 (2019): The third issue of 2019
- Louise Anne Buckley, Are Dogs That Eat Quickly More Likely to Develop a Gastric Dilatation (+/- Volvulus) Than Dogs That Eat Slowly? , Veterinary Evidence: Vol. 1 No. 4 (2016): Our fourth issue
- Louise Anne Buckley, Are Dogs Fed a Kibble-Based Diet More Likely to Experience an Episode of Gastric Dilatation Volvulus Than Dogs Fed an Alternative Diet? , Veterinary Evidence: Vol. 2 No. 2 (2017): The second issue of 2017