These questions were submitted by the veterinary community as part of RCVS Knowledge’s prioritisation project.
They were then rated in order of relevance by attendees at our Veterinary Evidence Today 2016 conference, which took place in Edinburgh.
If you are interested in writing a Knowledge Summary on any of the below five topics (equine, canine emergency, feline emergency, canine, feline) then please contact the Managing Editor, firstname.lastname@example.org, stating which PICO question you would like to work on, and whether you’d like to be a lead author or a collaborator, and you'll be contacted with more information and guidance.
If you would like to write a Knowledge Summary on a topic that isn't listed, then please let us know as we can help refine your topic into a PICO question!
See our step-by-step guide to writing a Knowledge Summary.
- In adult horses with septic peritonitis, does peritoneal lavage combined with antibacterial therapy compared to antibacterial therapy alone improve survival rates?
- In horses with superficial digital tendonitis is bandaging and rest compared to rest alone more effective at promoting healing?
- In horses with heel bulb lacerations, does casting the distal limb compared to bandaging result in faster healing?
- In horses in low and middle-income countries, are breast-strap harnesses more effective than breast-collar straps in preventing wounds?
- In lame horses affected by osteoarthritis of the distal tarsal joints (bone spavin), are bisphosphonates more effective than NSAIDs in long-term alleviation of lameness?
- In horses with chronic laminitis, do venograms compared to plain radiographs give greater diagnostic or prognostic information?
- In horses that are lame due to osteoarthritis of the distal tarsal joints (bone spavin), is intra-articular medication with corticosteroids compared to systemic bisphosphonate treatment more effective in long-term lameness reduction?
- In horses with allergen-related Recurrent Airway Obstruction (RAO), is immunotherapy compared to environmental reduction of allergen exposure more effective in disease modification?
- In three day event horses, does biannual routine influenza vaccination compared to annual routine influenza vaccination reduce performance levels?
- In Broodmares with post-service endometritis, is antibiotic intervention with other routine therapies superior to other routine therapies without antibiotic intervention in increasing pregnancy rate?
- In three day event horses, do bit seats compared to no bit seats improve performance?
- In young thoroughbreds with osteochondral fragments of the proximo-plantar aspect of the proximal phalanx, does pre-emptive surgical removal of the fragments compared to conservative [non-surgical] management reduce the incidence of subsequent lameness?
- In Broodmares with Klebsiella-positive clitoral swabs, are antibiotics more effective than transfaunation as measured by resolution of colonisation?
- In adult horses with superficial digital flexor tendonitis, does icing the leg in addition to non-steoidal anti-inflammatory therapy compared to non-steroidal anti-inflammatory treatment alone speed the healing process?
- In Broodmares with Pseudomonas-positive clitoral swabs, are antibiotics more effective than transfaunation as measured by resolution of colonisation?
- In dogs with haemorrhage gastroenteritis, is treatment with antimicrobial therapy plus supportive therapy superior to treatment with supportive therapy only, as measured by time to recovery?
- In dogs with cervical pain, are glucocorticoids superior to NSAIDs in providing analgesia?
- In dogs with haemorrhagic gastroenteritis, does the administration of an antibiotic [compared to no antibiotic] decrease the duration of the episode?
- In dogs in status epilepticus, does application of benzodiazepines affect the prognosis as measured by mortality rate, when compared to post-seizure monitoring (may need example) alone?
- In dogs with an adder bite, does use of anti-venom compared to no anti-venom improve time to recovery?
- In dogs with visceral pain, is Butorphanol more effective than Buprenorphine or Hydromorphone in providing analgesia?
- In dogs with infectious tracheobronchitis, does antibiotic therapy decrease time to resolution of clinical signs, when compared to antimicrobial chemotherapy?
- In dogs with coughing secondary to left sided congestive heart failure does adding cutaneous nitroglycerin to pimobendan and furosemide compared to pimobendan and furosemide alone decrease time to resolution of pulmonary edema?
- In dogs with Methaldehyde intoxications, are benzodiazepines (such as diazepam or midazolam) more effective than Methocarbamol in relaxing muscles/reducing occurrence of seizures?
- In dogs that have swallowed a sharp foreign body, is endoscopy effective in removing the object, in comparison to emesis?
- In dogs with permethrin intoxication is Intralipid IVLE therapy or ClinOleic IVLE therapy more effective in reducing time to recovery?
- In dogs with an adder bite, does antibiotic intervention reduce the incidence of wound infection, when compared to no antibiotic intervention?
- In dogs with an adder bite, does the use of Penicillin (eg. Amoxicillin and Clavulanate) reduce the incidence of wound infection, when compared to cephalosporins?
- In cats with cystitis, is combined treatment with antibiotics and analgesia or treatment with analgesia alone more effective at resolving clinical signs?
- In adult cats, is honey effective in improving the healing of skin wounds, when compared to pharmaceutical topical treatments?
- In cats with traumatic brain injury, is Hypertonic Saline more effective than Mannitol , when measuring neurological recovery OR survival?
- In cats with permethrin intoxication is Intralipid IVLE therapy or ClinOleic IVLE therapy more effective in reducing time to recovery?
- In adult cats with lower urinary tract disease, is behavioural management more effective than drug management in reducing the risk of relapse?
- In adult male cats with a urethra blockage, is indwelling catheterisation more effective than percutaneous drainage in reducing the incidence of recurrence?
- In cats with traumatic brain injury, is Hypertonic Saline more effective than Lactated Ringer's solution (LRS), when measuring neurological recovery OR survival?
- In cats with Methaldehyde intoxications, are benzodiazepines (such as diazepam or midazolam) more effective than Methocarbamol in relaxing muscles/reducing occurrence of seizures?
- In cats, is urinalysis more effective than ultrasound in diagnosing chronic lethargy?
- In cats, is urinalysis more effective than radiography in diagnosing chronic lethargy?
- In dogs with HGE, does the use of metronidazole, compared to no metronidazole shorten the time to recovery?
- In dogs with distended anal glands does expressing glands versus not expressing glands reduce impaction and infection?
- In dogs, is neutering pre-puberty superior to neutering post-puberty, in improving behaviour?
- In canines with Kennel cough, does the use of anti-inflammatories, in comparison to absence of anti-inflammatories, shorten the time to recovery?
- In dogs with a cruciate tear is medical treatment as effective as surgery in reducing time to recovery?
- In dogs with a cutaneous mass does surgery or non surgical treatment give a better quality of life?
- In dogs with periodontal disease is feeding a raw meat diet more effective than a kibble 'dental' diet at reducing periodontal disease?
- In dogs with arthritis are prescription NSAIDs more effective than aspirin in reducing clinical signs?
- In dogs with kennel cough does the use of antibiotics compared with no antibiotics reduce time to recovery?
- In dogs with diarrhoea is metronidazole or bismuth subsalicylate more effective in reducing diarrhoea frequency and improving fecal score?
- In dogs with hairy ear canals e g poodles does plucking or not plucking reduce the risk of bacterial infection /chronic otitis?
- In dogs with blood in faeces does treatment with amoxicillin clavulanate versus no treatment reduce the number of clinical cases progressing to sepsis?
- In dogs with gingivitis does daily brushing with human (gingivitis specific) toothpaste, compared to regular canine toothpaste, reduce clinical signs?
- In dogs with arthritis which gives the greatest improvement in pain scores - controlled exercise OR weight loss OR low level ("cold") laser treatment?
- In dogs with IBD-related diarrhoea is Budesonide more effective than prednisone in improving fecal score?
- Do obese dogs make up a larger percentage of the veterinary caseload than lean dogs?
- In dogs with acute tracheobronchitis does treatment with theophylline versus TMPS lead to a shorter time to cessation of coughing?
- In canine fractures, is low level laser more effective than low-intensity pulsed ultrasound in improving radiographic bone healing time?
- In cats with CKD, does controlling renal hypertension with amlodipine compared to ACE inhibitors decrease renal mortality?
- Are adult cats fed on dry maintenance diets less at risk of developing CKD compared to adult cats fed on wet maintenance diets?
- In cats with idiopathic Feline lower urinary tract disease (FLUTD), is prednisolone more effective than NSAIDs in reducing clinical signs?
- In adult cats, does a varied diet reduce the risk of developing a food intolerance/allergy, when compared to a consistent diet?
- In cats, does a canned-food diet reduce the risk of developing a UTI, when compared to dry diets?
- In cats, does obesity increase the risk of periodontal disease, in comparison to cats with a body condition score lower than 3?
- In adult cats, does feeding grain free maintenance diet reduce the risk of obesity compared to feeding a maintenance diet containing grains?
- Are adult cats fed on homemade diets less at risk of developing CKD compared to adult cats fed on commercial diets?
- In cats with chin acne, are antibiotics superior to glucocorticoids in reducing clinical signs?
- In cats older than 6, does onset obesity affect mortality, when compared to cats with a body condition score lower than 5?
- In cats with renal hyperparathyroidism, does the use of calcitriol improve renal mortality, in comparison to dietary modification alone?
- Are hand-reared kittens more likely to develop gastrointestinal problems than normally weaned kittens?
- In obese cats, does feeding grain free diets help in reducing the body weight compared to feeding "weight reduction specific" diets containing grains?
- In clinically hyperthyroid cats, is I-131 treatment superior to unilateral thyroidectomy in normalising serum T4 level?
- In clinically hyperthyroid cats, is I-131 treatment superior to bilateral thyroidectomy in normalising serum T4 level?
- In cats under 10 years old, does the presence of arthritis affect body condition score, when compared to non-arthritic cats?
- In adult cats, does feeding a homemade balanced diet improve the stool quality compared to feeding a commercial maintenance diet?
- In cats with self-barbering, does hypoallergenic feeding improve clinical signs (measured through skin examination), in comparison to normal feeding?
- In cats with chin acne, is topical benzoyl effective at reducing clinical signs, in comparison to no drug intervention?
- In cats with chin acne, are topical antibiotics superior to systemic antibiotics in reducing clinical signs?
- In cats with chin acne, are topical glucocorticoids superior to systemic glucocorticoids in reducing clinical signs?
- In cats, does chronic self-barbering increase the incidence of atopic dermatitis, in comparison to cats with a healthy coat?