For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the “Act”), the data controller is the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons Trust (trading as RCVS Knowledge). We are registered as a company limited by guarantee in England & Wales with company number 598443, with our registered office at Belgravia House, 62 - 64 Horseferry Road, London SW1P 2AF.
1. Information We May Collect From You
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- information that you provide to us by filling in forms on the Site, such as your name, user name and email address. This includes information provided at the time of registering as a user, making an enquiry, providing us with feedback, uploading a summary of evidence designed to enable other users to answer a clinically based question (a “Knowledge Summary”) uploading an article, updating your user details or for any other reason;
- records of your correspondence (if any) with us;
- data automatically collected regarding your visits to the Site including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other data including the Internet Protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform.
Information We Receive From Other Sources:
We may receive information about you if you use any of the other websites we or the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons operate (including www.rcvs.org.uk) or the other services we provide. We also work closely with third parties (including business partners, analytics providers and search information providers) and may receive information about you from them.
2. Where We Store Your Personal Information; Data Security
All information you provide to us is stored on secure servers within the European Economic Area through a reputable third party hosting provider.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of the Site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will use reasonable endeavours to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to the Site and any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use suitable procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
3. Use of Personal Information
Any personal information that you provide to us or that we collect from your visit to the Site will be used by us in the following ways:
- to ensure that content from the Site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer and to administer, support, improve and obtain feedback on our services;
- to provide you with information regarding our services that you request from us;
- to create your account if you register with us and to update your membership records;
- to communicate with you in general (including, for example and without limitation, via email) in order to provide our services, including sending information about changes to the services that we offer;
- to administer the Site and for internal operations, such as troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research and survey purposes and
We may also use your personal information to recognise you when you return to the Site; please view our Cookie Declaration for more information.
Some cookies are placed by third party services that appear on our pages and we have no control over them.
We do not sell, trade or rent your personal information to third parties and will not share your personal information with third parties other than as set out below.
4. How We Share Your Personal Information and With Whom
We may share your personal information with any member of our group, which includes the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons.
Any articles, Knowledge Summaries or other content submitted or uploaded by you to the public areas of the Site will be publicly available and can be collected and used by other users, who may forward this content to other websites or people (with the appropriate citation). If such articles, Knowledge Summaries or other content includes your personal information (for example, your name), internet users and others will have access to it.
We may disclose your personal information to other third parties, as follows:
- to fellow users of the Site when they access or download any articles or Knowledge Summaries that you have authored or collated;
- to service providers who help us run the Site and our services, solely for the purposes of running the Site or administering our business. These third parties currently include 123-reg.co.uk (who host our servers);
- to report offences under the Computer Misuse Act 1990;
- if we or substantially all of our assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by us about our users will be one of the transferred assets;
5. Your Rights
You may at any time ask us to remove your personal details from our records by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
You are also entitled to correct, review, update or change your personal information at any time.
However, it may not be possible to delete historic content from the internet.
6. Links To Other Websites
8. Access to Information
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to an administration fee of £10 as a contribution to our costs of providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
If you wish to exercise your right of access, please send your request to: email@example.com
Managing Editor, Veterinary Evidence
62-64 Horseferry Road
London SW1P 2AF
9. Contact Us