Interested in writing a Knowledge Summary?
Knowledge Summaries are like critically appriased topics; they answer a specific and focused clincal question by looking at the best available evidence.
The first step is to define your question. Either pick one of our clinical queries from the below categories, or write your own, then contact us stating your question.
You'll then be guided through the next steps.
Browse all published Knowledge Summaries here.
Do you have a query but don't have time to answer it yourself?
Submit your query here and it will be added to the below list.
- Being answered: In cats with CKD, does controlling renal hypertension with amlodipine compared to ACE inhibitors decrease renal mortality?
- Answered: Are Adult Cats Fed on Wet Maintenance Diets Less at Risk of Developing Chronic Kidney Disease Compared to Adult Cats Fed on Dry Maintenance Diets?
- Answer me: In cats with idiopathic Feline lower urinary tract disease (FLUTD), is prednisolone more effective than NSAIDs in reducing clinical signs?
- Answer me: In adult cats, does a varied diet reduce the risk of developing a food intolerance/allergy, when compared to a consistent diet?
- Answer me: In cats, does a canned-food diet reduce the risk of developing a UTI, when compared to dry diets?
- Answer me: In cats, does obesity increase the risk of periodontal disease, in comparison to cats with a body condition score lower than 3?
- Answered: In adult cats, does feeding grain free maintenance diet reduce the risk of obesity compared to feeding a maintenance diet containing grains?
- Answer me: Are adult cats fed on homemade diets less at risk of developing CKD compared to adult cats fed on commercial diets?
- Answer me: In cats with chin acne, are antibiotics superior to glucocorticoids in reducing clinical signs?
- Answer me: In cats older than 6, does onset obesity affect mortality, when compared to cats with a body condition score lower than 5?
- Answer me: In cats with renal hyperparathyroidism, does the use of calcitriol improve renal mortality, in comparison to dietary modification alone?
- Being answered: Are hand-reared kittens more likely to develop gastrointestinal problems than normally weaned kittens?
- Being answered: In obese cats, does feeding grain free diets help in reducing the body weight compared to feeding "weight reduction specific" diets containing grains?
- Being answered: In clinically hyperthyroid cats, is I-131 treatment superior to unilateral or bilateral thyroidectomy in normalising serum T4 level?
- Answer me: In cats under 10 years old, does the presence of arthritis affect body condition score, when compared to non-arthritic cats?
- Answer me: In cats with self-barbering, does hypoallergenic feeding improve clinical signs (measured through skin examination), in comparison to normal feeding?
- Answer me: In cats with chin acne, is topical benzoyl effective at reducing clinical signs, in comparison to no drug intervention?
- Answer me: In cats with chin acne, are topical glucocorticoids superior to systemic glucocorticoids in reducing clinical signs?
- Answer me: In cats, does chronic self-barbering increase the incidence of atopic dermatitis, in comparison to cats with a healthy coat?
- Answer me: In cats with cystitis, is combined treatment with antibiotics and analgesia or treatment with analgesia alone more effective at resolving clinical signs?
- Being answered: In adult cats, is honey effective in improving the healing of skin wounds, when compared to pharmaceutical topical treatments?
- Answer me: In cats with traumatic brain injury, is Hypertonic Saline more effective than Mannitol , when measuring neurological recovery OR survival?
- Answer me: In cats with permethrin intoxication is Intralipid IVLE therapy or ClinOleic IVLE therapy more effective in reducing time to recovery?
- Answer me: In adult cats with lower urinary tract disease, is behavioural management more effective than drug management in reducing the risk of relapse?
- Answer me: In adult male cats with a urethra blockage, is indwelling catheterisation more effective than percutaneous drainage in reducing the incidence of recurrence?
- Answer me: In cats with traumatic brain injury, is Hypertonic Saline more effective than Lactated Ringer's solution (LRS), when measuring neurological recovery OR survival?
- Answer me: In cats with Methaldehyde intoxications, are benzodiazepines (such as diazepam or midazolam) more effective than Methocarbamol in relaxing muscles/reducing occurrence of seizures?
- Answer me: In cats, is urinalysis more effective than ultrasound in diagnosing chronic lethargy?
- Answer me: In cats, is urinalysis more effective than radiography in diagnosing chronic lethargy?
- Answer me: In cats undergoing surgical procedures that require aseptic skin preparation is povidone a safe preparation to use with regards to the iodine content of the product?
- Being answered: Are adult cats fed on non-commercially available homemade maintenance diets less at risk of developing CKD compared to adult cats fed on commercially available maintenance diets?
- Being answered: In cats which are stressed as a result of veterinary interventions does treatment with gabapentin lower the stress level compared to no treatment?
- Answer me: Does clonality testing by PCR for antigen receptor rearrangement (PARR) aid differentiation of feline inflammatory bowel disease and alimentary lymphoma in equivocal cases?
- Being answered: In cats undergoing hospitalization, does intermittent flushing with heparinized saline improve peripheral intravenous catheter patency compared with normal saline?
- Answered: Is garlic (Allium sativum) efficacious as an anthelmintic to prevent or reduce the intestinal worm burden (species found in the UK) of cats?
- Answer me: Do environmental changes prevent recurrence of episodes of feline Idiopathic Cystitis more effectively than medications?
- Answered: Feline Hyperthyroidism - Is dietary management within our reach?
- Answered: Of cats that present with aortic thromboembolism, do patients that receive thrombolytic therapy vs those who do not, have improved survival in the acute period?
- Being answered: In adult cats with epilepsy which is poorly controlled with phenobarbital therapy alone, is imepitoin or levetiracetam more effective as a second-line anti-convulsant in order to reduce seizure frequency?
- Being answered: In cats with cardiac disease, is treatment with clopidogrel associated with a reduced risk of arterial thromboembolism when compare to treatment with aspirin?
- Answer me: In cats with inflammatory respiratory conditions does the use of NSAIDS reduce the severity of the respiratory clinical signs when compared to no NSAID intervention?
- Answered: Use of Lidocaine in Reducing Post-Operative Tracheitis in Dogs and cats: A Knowledge Summary
- Answered: Which Antibacterial Agent Performs Best for the Treatment and Clearance of Chlamydophila Felis Infection in cats?
- Answered: Spaying of cats and dogs by laparoscopic ovariectomy may offer a more positive recovery than traditional open surgical methods
- Answered: In cats infected with feline herpesvirus type-1 (FHV-1) does treatment with famciclovir result in a reduction of respiratory and ocular clinical signs?
- Answered: Is topical or systemic antimicrobial therapy more effective for the treatment of feline acne with secondary bacterial infection?
- Answered: Does the Use of Intratesticular Blocks in cats Undergoing Orchiectomies Serve as an Effective Adjunctive Analgesic?
- Answered: Percutaneous management of urethral blockages in cats
- Answered: Reluxation rates following different techniques for open stabilisation of feline coxofemoral dislocations
- Answer me: In cats with feline interstitial cystitis does the use of meloxicam increase the speed of resolution of clinical signs compared to prednisolone?
- Being answered: In cats with chin acne, are topical antibiotics superior to systemic antibiotics in reducing clinical signs?
- Being answered: In cats with hyperthyroidism, does performing a bilateral staged thyroidectomy, compared to a simultaneous bilateral thyroidectomy, decrease the risk and/or severity of postoperative hypocalcaemia?
- Being answered: Are tigers which are anaesthetised using a combination of tiletamine and zolazepam at greater risk of complications when compared to other anaesthetic agents?
- Being answered: Is the new recommended standard flow rate of 3mL/kg/hour for cats and 5mL/kg/hour for dogs for surgical fluid therapy superior to previous recommended flow rate of 10mL/kg/hour for both cats and dogs?
- Being answered: In cats infected with Tritrichomonas foetus does treatment with ronidazole result in successful eradication of infection?
- Being answered: In cats and dogs with traumatic diaphragmatic rupture, does surgical timing affect outcome?