Interested in writing a Knowledge Summary? Pick one of our clinical queries (or write your own) then contact the Managing Editor, email@example.com stating your question. You'll then be guided through the next steps.
Browse all published Knowledge Summaries here.
Do you have a query but don't have time to answer it yourself?
Submit your query here and it will be added to the below list.
- Being answered: In cats with CKD, does controlling renal hypertension with amlodipine compared to ACE inhibitors decrease renal mortality?
- Answered: Are Adult Cats Fed on Wet Maintenance Diets Less at Risk of Developing Chronic Kidney Disease Compared to Adult Cats Fed on Dry Maintenance Diets?
- Being answered: In cats with idiopathic Feline lower urinary tract disease (FLUTD), is prednisolone more effective than NSAIDs in reducing clinical signs?
- Answer me: In adult cats, does a varied diet reduce the risk of developing a food intolerance/allergy, when compared to a consistent diet?
- Being answered: In cats, does a canned-food diet reduce the risk of developing a UTI, when compared to dry diets?
- Answer me: In cats, does obesity increase the risk of periodontal disease, in comparison to cats with a body condition score lower than 3?
- Answered: In adult cats, does feeding grain free maintenance diet reduce the risk of obesity compared to feeding a maintenance diet containing grains?
- Answer me: Are adult cats fed on homemade diets less at risk of developing CKD compared to adult cats fed on commercial diets?
- Answer me: In cats with chin acne, are antibiotics superior to glucocorticoids in reducing clinical signs?
- Answer me: In cats older than 6, does onset obesity affect mortality, when compared to cats with a body condition score lower than 5?
- Answer me: In cats with renal hyperparathyroidism, does the use of calcitriol improve renal mortality, in comparison to dietary modification alone?
- Being answered: Are hand-reared kittens more likely to develop gastrointestinal problems than normally weaned kittens?
- Being answered: In obese cats, does feeding grain free diets help in reducing the body weight compared to feeding "weight reduction specific" diets containing grains?
- Being answered: In clinically hyperthyroid cats, is I-131 treatment superior to unilateral or bilateral thyroidectomy in normalising serum T4 level?
- Answer me: In cats under 10 years old, does the presence of arthritis affect body condition score, when compared to non-arthritic cats?
- Answer me: In cats with self-barbering, does hypoallergenic feeding improve clinical signs (measured through skin examination), in comparison to normal feeding?
- Answer me: In cats with chin acne, is topical benzoyl effective at reducing clinical signs, in comparison to no drug intervention?
- Answer me: In cats with chin acne, are topical glucocorticoids superior to systemic glucocorticoids in reducing clinical signs?
- Answer me: In cats, does chronic self-barbering increase the incidence of atopic dermatitis, in comparison to cats with a healthy coat?
- Answer me: In cats with cystitis, is combined treatment with antibiotics and analgesia or treatment with analgesia alone more effective at resolving clinical signs?
- Being answered: In adult cats, is honey effective in improving the healing of skin wounds, when compared to pharmaceutical topical treatments?
- Answer me: In cats with traumatic brain injury, is Hypertonic Saline more effective than Mannitol , when measuring neurological recovery OR survival?
- Answer me: In cats with permethrin intoxication is Intralipid IVLE therapy or ClinOleic IVLE therapy more effective in reducing time to recovery?
- Answer me: In adult cats with lower urinary tract disease, is behavioural management more effective than drug management in reducing the risk of relapse?
- Answer me: In adult male cats with a urethra blockage, is indwelling catheterisation more effective than percutaneous drainage in reducing the incidence of recurrence?
- Answer me: In cats with traumatic brain injury, is Hypertonic Saline more effective than Lactated Ringer's solution (LRS), when measuring neurological recovery OR survival?
- Answer me: In cats with Methaldehyde intoxications, are benzodiazepines (such as diazepam or midazolam) more effective than Methocarbamol in relaxing muscles/reducing occurrence of seizures?
- Answer me: In cats, is urinalysis more effective than ultrasound in diagnosing chronic lethargy?
- Answer me: In cats, is urinalysis more effective than radiography in diagnosing chronic lethargy?
- Answer me: In cats undergoing surgical procedures that require aseptic skin preparation is povidone a safe preparation to use with regards to the iodine content of the product?
- Being answered: Are adult cats fed on non-commercially available homemade maintenance diets less at risk of developing CKD compared to adult cats fed on commercially available maintenance diets?
- Being answered: In cats which are stressed as a result of veterinary interventions does treatment with gabapentin lower the stress level compared to no treatment?
- Answer me: Does clonality testing by PCR for antigen receptor rearrangement (PARR) aid differentiation of feline inflammatory bowel disease and alimentary lymphoma in equivocal cases?
- Being answered: In cats undergoing hospitalization, does intermittent flushing with heparinized saline improve peripheral intravenous catheter patency compared with normal saline?
- Answered: Is garlic (Allium sativum) efficacious as an anthelmintic to prevent or reduce the intestinal worm burden (species found in the UK) of cats?
- Answer me: Do environmental changes prevent recurrence of episodes of feline Idiopathic Cystitis more effectively than medications?
- Answered: Feline Hyperthyroidism - Is dietary management within our reach?
- Answered: Of cats that present with aortic thromboembolism, do patients that receive thrombolytic therapy vs those who do not, have improved survival in the acute period?
- Being answered: In adult cats with epilepsy which is poorly controlled with phenobarbital therapy alone, is imepitoin or levetiracetam more effective as a second-line anti-convulsant in order to reduce seizure frequency?
- Being answered: In cats with cardiac disease, is treatment with clopidogrel associated with a reduced risk of arterial thromboembolism when compare to treatment with aspirin?
- Being answered: In domestic cats, does using antibiotics alone instead of flushing the abscess lead to faster resolution of a cat bite abscess?
- Answered: Use of Lidocaine in Reducing Post-Operative Tracheitis in Dogs and cats: A Knowledge Summary
- Answered: Which Antibacterial Agent Performs Best for the Treatment and Clearance of Chlamydophila Felis Infection in cats?
- Answered: Spaying of cats and dogs by laparoscopic ovariectomy may offer a more positive recovery than traditional open surgical methods
- Answered: In cats infected with feline herpesvirus type-1 (FHV-1) does treatment with famciclovir result in a reduction of respiratory and ocular clinical signs?
- Answered: Is topical or systemic antimicrobial therapy more effective for the treatment of feline acne with secondary bacterial infection?
- Answered: Does the Use of Intratesticular Blocks in cats Undergoing Orchiectomies Serve as an Effective Adjunctive Analgesic?
- Answered: Percutaneous management of urethral blockages in cats
- Answered: Reluxation rates following different techniques for open stabilisation of feline coxofemoral dislocations
- Answer me: In cats with feline interstitial cystitis does the use of meloxicam increase the speed of resolution of clinical signs compared to prednisolone?
- Being answered: In cats with chin acne, are topical antibiotics superior to systemic antibiotics in reducing clinical signs?
- Being answered: In cats with hyperthyroidism, does performing a bilateral staged thyroidectomy, compared to a simultaneous bilateral thyroidectomy, decrease the risk and/or severity of postoperative hypocalcaemia?
- Being answered: Are tigers which are anaesthetised using a combination of tiletamine and zolazepam at greater risk of complications when compared to other anaesthetic agents?
- Being answered: Is the new recommended standard flow rate of 3mL/kg/hour for cats and 5mL/kg/hour for dogs for surgical fluid therapy superior to previous recommended flow rate of 10mL/kg/hour for both cats and dogs?
- Being answered: In cats infected with Tritrichomonas foetus does treatment with ronidazole result in successful eradication of infection?
- Being answered: In cats and dogs with traumatic diaphragmatic rupture, does surgical timing affect outcome?
- Answer me: In cats with inflammatory respiratory conditions does the use of NSAIDS reduce the severity of the respiratory clinical signs when compared to no NSAID intervention?